[LINK] short messages [was: Mindless negativity about Twitter (was Re: Forum on high speed bandwidth in Australia - this Thursday)

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue May 5 09:21:04 AEST 2009

At 09:08 AM 5/05/2009, Ivan Trundle wrote:
>And Twitter, the fastest growing online social network, which is being
>adopted practically en masse by politicians, celebrities ...

Actually, the 'link' to sms message length is a good one. It may be a
bit of a chicken/egg thing, but I would think as a communication form
they are related. Those who txt are used to short messages.
Sound-bites are the norm, too. So twitter would fit their
communication style. The change is only that the short message has
gone from a one-to-one or even a one-to-a-few with a broadcast sms,
to a one-to-millions, or a many-to-many perhaps.

It may also have an age related aspect to it. Those of us who are
boomers have greater experience and perhaps depth of understanding of
different areas, so we have more ideas, 'facts', opinions etc and
also perhaps value nuance more. We possibly unpack things more and
don't automatically accept things said at a surface level. I'm
wiggling a bit on that since this is a generalisation that may not
exist. But from personal experience, I feel that I increase my
ability to say things about things the longer I explore that thing --
i.e. I learn the vocabulary, the concepts, the rules, and the theory
of it. Before I get to those points, about all I can do is nod or shrug.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/