[LINK] Obama urges calm, caution and activation of online social networks.

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Tue May 5 11:03:17 AEST 2009

Marghanita da Cruz quoted:
>> The Department of Homeland Security, as well as the Department of Health and Human Services, supported by the Center for Disease Control, have been working around the clock to make sure that the public has the latest facts about the H1N1 virus.

<rant>
Facts are one thing, putting them into context and giving them meaning
is another.

What I'd like to see is how the H1N1 virus stacks up against other
things in terms of risk and actual deaths.

And the justification that "we cannot afford to take any chances" is a
load of brown stuff. It's all about balancing chances, not eliminating
them, which is impossible.

Governments and the voters don't like statements of the form  - "We will
take reasonable precautions in line with the risks, but some people
might die. That's what happens in real life."

There is talk about evidence based policy development,
<http://www.pm.gov.au/media/speech/2008/speech_0226.cfm> but there's not
much evidence of it happening.

</rant>

I feel better now.