[LINK] Forum on high speed bandwidth in Australia

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue May 5 17:13:10 AEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 11:57 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Whats the point of having fibre to the home if I'm still charged on volume?
> Oh wait, I'll be able to download some games and watch IP TV subscriptions;
> great for the average user but useless for innovation and growth in the
> Australian technology areas.

You mentioned innovation - but why do you feel that all those people at
home are somehow incapable of innovation? Could it be because you see
the NBN bringing no real change, with consumers stuck at the fringes,
passively sucking data? Why should decent connectivity be the province
only of business?

If (as I trust we all hope) IPv6 will be part of this new network,
anyone, anywhere, who is connected will be able to set up services - or
set up shop - with as many addresses as they could conceivably want.
Then we will see innovation...

NAT and address scarcity are the two evils which have, second only to
Telstra's stranglehold, hamstrung Internet innovation in this country
and elsewhere.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF