[LINK] Forum on high speed bandwidth in Australia

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu May 7 16:20:30 AEST 2009

<http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/India_will_run_out_of_IP_addresses_by_2010-nid-56298.html>

> What does that last sentence mean? Can IP4 be extended somehow to accommodate
> 16 billion addresses instead of the current 4 billion (approx)?

I interpret the sentence as an "IPv7" could support 16 billion IP addresses.

 From Wikipedia:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Larger_address_space>

> As of April 21, 2009, Geoff Huston of APNIC predicts with detailed daily
simulations an exhaustion of the unallocated IANA pool in August 2011.[1] As of
March 2009, Tony Hain of networking equipment manufacturer Cisco Systems
predicts the exhaustion date to be around July 2011.[2] These predictions are
derived from current trends, and do not take into account any last chance rush
to acquire the last available addresses. After the IANA pool exhaustion, during
14 months each individual regional Internet registry (RIR) will be able to
supply with their last assigned addresses. These dates lie within a depreciation
time of five to ten years of network equipment that is currently being acquired.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_address_exhaustion>

I recall a very heated discussion about the allocation of IP addresses on
another mailing list. I would like to understand a bit more about how this stuff
is Governed.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz