[LINK] Historical Tour of Computing in Melbourne

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Sat May 16 12:03:40 AEST 2009

  At the ACS Victorian Branch 2009 Conference
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2009/05/sustainable-business.html>
someone mentioned there was an Historical Tour of Computing in
Melbourne <http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~gfarr/tour/>. Unfortunately
I missed the tour as I was at the conference. The next one is Sunday
31 May 2009. The tours are run by Caulfield School of Information
Technology (Monash University) and are free, apart from your tram
ticket. Many of the sites are accessible without the tour and the
tour guide web page provides a useful self-guide. The highlight of
any such tour has to be CSIRAC at the Melbourne Museum, the fourth
computer in the world and the best preserved.

The Tour:

    1. Monash Museum of Computing History
    2. Site of Albert Park Barracks and DSD
    3. Melbourne's Silicon Mile: St Kilda Road and Fitzroy Street
    4. Stanhill
    5. Melbourne Observatory: Melbourne's first computer room
    6. Victoria Barracks: Australia's first supercomputer
    7. St Paul's Cathedral: the Babbage connection
    8. National Mutual: Smalltalk-80's Australian debut
    9. ICI House
   10. Melbourne Museum: CSIRAC
   11. Physics Museum, University of Melbourne
   12. Old Physics, University of Melbourne: CSIRAC's first Victorian home

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University