[LINK] Lost in the Blue Mountains

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed May 20 17:17:46 AEST 2009

At 04:11 PM 20/05/2009, David Boxall wrote:
>  From my own experience in dealing with the public, people don't
>necessarily know what they need. Much of the skill in working the phones
>lies in extracting enough information from the caller to solve the
>problem, rather than just answer their question. Expecting someone who
>may be distressed and disoriented to make a decision about what they
>need is a recipe for disaster.

I have a friend who used to work for an emergency roadside service
who eventually had to leave because of the 'scripted' nature of
answering distress calls. She became convinced someone would get into
real strife if she was required to continue behaving in the way the
company insisted. This call with the boy in NSW was part of her
'evidence' for her position. As far as I know, the company she worked
for still works that way.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com