[LINK] Democrats launch anti-filtering site

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Wed May 20 17:35:36 AEST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Darrell Burkey
<darrell.burkey at anu.edu.au>wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 16:44, Stilgherrian wrote:
> > Also, are where the site it hosted or what the domain name is "global"
> > versus "country-specific", REALLY the most important issues to be
> > discussing here?
>
> When the topic is net filtering I think it's entirely relevant. It goes
> to their credibility, or lack thereof, if they can't get even the very
> basics of using the net right.

180 milliseconds additional latency is getting the net wrong?

The whole point of the Internet is that it's a _global_ network - from a
technical perspective it doesn't matter if your content is hosted in the US,
Australia or Inner Mongolia. (With the obvious provisos of performance/etc,
but like I said, 180ms...)

I'm not saying that there's not several good argument for hosting a site
like this in Australia - especially when you are an Australian political
party - but there's no way that this is getting the "very basics of using
the net" wrong.

And personally, it annoys the crap out of me that so many Australian
> organisations don't identify themselves as Australian with their domain
> name. What are they hiding?

http://democrats.org.au goes to exactly where you'd expect it to, and has a
link to http://nointernetcensorship.com/ on the homepage.  The problem is
that Australia domain registration rules make registering
http://nointernetcensorship.{com,net,org,asn}.au difficult at best, if not
outright impossible, whilst the .com/net/org equivalents need nothing more
than a credit card.

Yes, they could have used
http://www.democrats.org.au/nointernetcensorship/but it's hardly as
catchy, is it?