[LINK] Lost in the Blue Mountains

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed May 20 20:11:51 AEST 2009

On 2009/May/20, at 11:51 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2009, Leah Manta wrote:
>
>> The phone I was using is a prepaid SIM without any registration of
>> my name :)
>>
>> Seems the Australian system could do with some smartening up!
>
> And this doesn't creep you out one bit? :)

It's amazing that in many countries in the world (even in communist
China) you can get a prepaid SIM without ID, but not in Australia.  I
suppose nobody would ever get one and then give it or sell it to
someone else.  You might get held incommunicado under the anti-
terrorist laws and deported to India if you did that I suppose.

People travelling use them all the time to get around the ridiculous
roaming charges and then when they leave the country they, guess what,
pass them on to someone else.

So yeah I do find Australia's attitude to prepaid SIMs a little creepy.

Kim
--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant