[LINK] Google Wave

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sat May 30 10:49:53 AEST 2009

At 13:32 +0000 29/5/09, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>Went Walkabout. Brought back Google Wave.
>5/28/2009, 09:15:00, http://googleblog.blogspot.com
><http://wave.google.com/>http://wave.google.com/

Okay, I've been asking for years for an update to the venerable email
standards, with simple text plus *alternative* richer media, and
chat/IM, and conferencing, all with an integrated database, archive
and search.

And of course standards-based, so that multiple vendors can compete
over the top of common protocols and infrastructure.

So I'm desperately disappointed that, after all this time, it's
Google that's doing it, with no apparent IETF involvement.

Google already has massive archives of communications, not just of
its users, but also of everyone its users correspond with.  We badly
need ways to avoid all of that data being gifted into a corporate
store, available for exploitation however Mountain View sees fit.

My first suspicion is that Wave will be designed to ensure that the
maximum amount of traffic is captured into Google's archives.

My second *was* that the mechanism would be proprietary and closed.

On the other hand, this suggests proprietary and *open*:
http://www.waveprotocol.org/
http://www.waveprotocol.org/draft-protocol-spec

[Adobe is an example of a provider that once had a decent reputation
for proprietary-but-open.  But they seem to have rather mucked up
that reputation lately, with more tricks (or just bugs?) that get in
the way of effective third-party implementations.  And even MS has
yet to destroy RTF as a proprietary but *reasonably* open standard
format.]

Has anyone reviewed the Wave Protocol yet, to evaluate:
-   the extent to which it's genuinely open versus pseudo-open?
-   the extent to which it generates momentum towards capture of
     all or most of our communications traffic into Google's store?

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong