[LINK] IBM Zurich director on smart networks in Canberra 17 November

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Nov 8 12:35:58 AEDT 2009

Matthias Kaiserswerth, director of the IBM Zurich Research Lab, will
speak on "Innovating to Create a Smarter Planet" at NICTA Canberra
Research Laboratory, 17 November 2009:

     NICTA Canberra Research Laboratory
     Big Picture SeminarSeries
     Title: Innovating to Create a Smarter Planet

     Abstract
     The world is getting increasingly intelligent, thanks to new
technologies, the Internet and the enormous computing power of modern
PCs. But a more intelligent world does not happen all by itself.
Business enterprises, governments and the scientific community must
share the responsibility for ensuring that all this potential can
develop and be used in the right way.

     At the moment we are still wasting energy, our healthcare systems
are not working efficiently enough and the economy is overtaken by one
crisis after another. What strategies and solutions are available for
dealing with basic challenges such as these? How can a business
enterprise use information more systematically and more intelligently?
     How can the natural resources of our planet be put to better and
more efficient use? With the technologies and solutions available to us
today we can do more than we have ever been able to do in the past to
link together people, things, processes and systems, and to make the
world in general a more intelligent place. That is our vision for a
smarter planet.

     Biography
     Since January 2006, Matthias Kaiserswerth has been leading the IBM
Research Strategy in Systems Management and Compliance, coordinating the
research work across IBM's eight global research laboratories. In July
2006, he was named director of the Zurich Research Lab, which he had
lead already once before from 2000-2002.Dr. Kaiserswerth received his
MSc and PhD in Computer Science from McGill University in Montreal,
Canada and from Friedrich-Alexander University in Erlangen-Nuremberg,
Germany respectively. He is an honorary professor at Friedrich-Alexander
University where he teaches applied computer science.

     INVITATION
     From imagination to impact www.nicta.com.au
     Dr Matthias Kaiserswerth
     Date: Tuesday 17 November 2009
     Seminar begins at 12.30pm.
     A light lunch will be served following
     the presentation.
     Venue
     NICTA Seminar Room
     Ground Floor, 7 London Circuit
     Civic, ACT
     RSVP Bookings are essential. Please email
     CRLseminars at lists.nicta.com.au
     by Friday 13 November 2009

From:
<http://www.nicta.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/21340/CRLSeminarMatthias_Kaiserswerth17Nov09.pdf>

--
Tom Worthington FACS HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au