[LINK] Weekend Magazine - The Future of Australian Television - Taxation, Licensing, Advertising or Criminalization?

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Sun Nov 15 09:30:42 AEDT 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 at 14:18:59 +1100 Tom Koltai wrote:
> Standard Definition TV picture @ 400 MB per hour.
In my experience, H.264 video encoded at much less than 1800
kilobytes/sec (with AAC audio at 160 kilobytes/sec: a little less than 1
gigabyte/hour) yields poor quality. Perceptions differ, of course, but
adopting too low a standard risks alienating the market.

> 11.2 GB per week per person (based on 4 hours and 11 minutes of TV
> viewing time)
Your children must differ markedly from those I know. Four hours per day
would be closer to the mark.

> 1 cent per gigabyte.
How much does a gigabyte actually cost? My ISP wants to charge $30:

> You can return your service immediately to faster speeds, by
> purchasing one of the following additional bandwidth data blocks.
>
> 250MB - $15.00
> 500MB - $18.00
> 1GB - $30.00

(An offer from said ISP, following my consumption of my monthly data
allocation and consequent shaping of my service to a nominal 64 kb/s).

> Develop an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) that scrapes all content from
> all sources.
A while back, I played around with MythTV. It did a surprisingly good
job of monitoring broadcast EPGs and recording programs I hadn't
realised were on. That's only part of the job but, clearly, much of the
coding has been done.

On a side note: could we embark on a "z" minimisation program?
"Criminalization" - that's just *so* Yankee!

--
David Boxall                    |  Any given program,
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  is obsolete.