[LINK] Top five reasons for Australia to Get a Root-Server.

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Tue Oct 13 13:26:38 AEDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Tom Koltai <tomk at unwired.com.au> wrote:

> I would have thought that all Australian routes would be travelling on
> one of the four links out of the country.

There are far more than 4 Internet links out of Australia.

For the Optus Looking glass to say- there is no ICMP route is initially
> a routing error that somewhere along the chain must rely on a root
> server.

Routing has absolutely nothing to do with root servers.  Nothing at all.
Less than nothing, in fact.

However, it may well be that Optus routing policy is dictated by
> Singapore.

Tom, you are obviously more confused about this particular topic than
normal.  Rather than continuing to make a fool of yourself in a public forum
I would suggest that this would be a good time to gather up your
tin-foil-cap paranoia and head off to Google to learn a little about how DNS
works, and what part the root servers play in that puzzle.

Possibly technology has moved on to the point where Root Servers are not
> the final arbiters of whether a spammer can deliver an email to
> thousands of addresses.

Having worked in the anti-spam industry for several years now, I can say
with 100% certainty that root servers do not, and have never, had any form
of "final" impact on whether spam gets delivered or not (beyond the obvious
parts that DNS plays in mail delivery and potentially RBLs which often use
DNS as a light-weight lookup mechanism)

Thanks. I should do more reading.

I believe you may have finally hit the nail on the head...

  Scott