[LINK] thousands of vulnerable devices

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Mon Oct 26 19:30:28 AEDT 2009

Scan of Internet Uncovers Thousands of Vulnerable Embedded Devices

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/10/vulnerable-devices/

[Interestingly, Aussieland is cut off the picture shown]

Researchers scanning the internet for vulnerable
embedded devices have found nearly 21,000
routers, webcams and VoIP products open to remote
attack. Their administrative interfaces are
viewable from anywhere on the internet and their
owners have failed to change the manufacturer’s default password.

Linksys routers had the
<http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/home>highest
percent of vulnerable devices found in the United
States ­ 45 percent of 2,729 routers that were
publicly accessible still had a default password
in place. <http://www.polycom.com/>Polycom VoIP
units came in second, with default passwords
lingering on about 29 percent of 585 devices accessible over the internet.

[snip]

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer