[LINK] Data Freedom

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Sep 16 08:11:40 AEST 2009

At 03:54 AM 16/09/2009, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>1. Can I get my data out at all?
>
>2. How much is it going to cost to get my data out?
>
>3. How much of my time is it going to take to get my data out?

re the Google questions -- I'm scratching my head over this
announcement. My questions are a bit different.

1. Why would anyone put data somewhere that they can't get it out
again? Wouldn't that be some sort of black hole of data death?
2. Why would anyone have to pay for their own data retrieval above
data ISP traffic costs?
3. Why would it ever take more time to get data out than it took to
put it there? Shouldn't it take *less* time given the speed of
download versus upload (in asymmetric connections)?
4. Do they really mean removal, as in deletion, of data from the
google systems? That is a different kettle of fish.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/