[LINK] Digital doomsday: the end of knowledge

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Tue Apr 6 22:58:52 AEST 2010

I found an article in New Scientist (30 Jan 2010) on a subject we have
discussed before here.  How long our mounting cloud of digital data
will last.  Compared with say Babylonian cuniform tablets from 3500
years ago the answer is not long.   They have a chart:
Flash memory: 10 Years
Magnetic tape: about 20 years
Rewritable CDs and DVDs: 7 years
Most CD-R and DVD+R, DVD-R, audio CD and Movie DVDs: 26 years
Special gold CD-R: 100 years
Hard disks: no-one knows.

And that's assuming we have the ability to read them then.  Reading
media made in old drives is not necessarily easy at all.  Less easy if
the drives are not available even less easy if no engineers familiar
with them are still alive.  Maybe our digital society is just
evanescent.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527451.300-digital-doomsday-the-end-of-knowledge.html

--
Kim Holburn