[LINK] IPTv

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Thu Apr 15 16:28:29 AEST 2010

On 2010/Apr/14, at 6:38 PM, Avi Miller wrote:

> Kim Holburn wrote:
>> iView is not quite as good quality as watching TV - or maybe there's
>> an option I haven't found yet.
>
> iView adjusts its quality based on the average streaming rate it can
> achieve to your PC. On our 100Mbps FTTH connection, it's pretty much
> SD broadcast quality.
>
>> Is there any good reason why Australian content from Australian
>> servers should be metered by Australian ISPs?
>
> Not sure whether this is a *good* reason or not, but keep in mind
> that Telstra/BigPond and Optus refuse to peer with any other ISP.
> This means it costs non-Telstra/Optus ISPs money to exchange data.
> Hence you find that unmetered sites tend to be those that peer with
> AARNET and PIPE.

So effectively Telstra is blocking unmetered internet for most
Australians.

Here's a story about an ISP offering a symmetric 1Gb fibre connection
in HK for US$26 per month.  Oh and to keep this on subject, it also
talks about IPTV which they've had there for many years.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/04/1gbps-symmetric-fiber-us26-in-hong-kong.ars

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant