[LINK] IPTv

Chris Edwards chris at chris-edwards.org
Thu Apr 15 18:06:21 AEST 2010

On 14/04/2010 6:38 PM, Avi Miller wrote:

> Kim Holburn wrote:
>> iView is not quite as good quality as watching TV - or maybe there's
>> an option I haven't found yet.
>
> iView adjusts its quality based on the average streaming rate it can
> achieve to your PC. On our 100Mbps FTTH connection, it's pretty much SD
> broadcast quality.

I'd be curious to see a screenshot, this is not my experience at all.
The site even lists the filesize of the program. A half hour show will
be about 150MB, which is never going to be enough for anything
approaching SD quality.

>> Is there any good reason why Australian content from Australian
>> servers should be metered by Australian ISPs?
>
> Not sure whether this is a *good* reason or not, but keep in mind that
> Telstra/BigPond and Optus refuse to peer with any other ISP. This means
> it costs non-Telstra/Optus ISPs money to exchange data. Hence you find
> that unmetered sites tend to be those that peer with AARNET and PIPE.

Data from a peering connection is hardly free to obtain and deliver to
end users, contrary to popular belief...it's certainly cheaper than
obtaining it from Telsta/Optus though, I'll give you that!

Chris