[LINK] IPTv

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Apr 16 09:18:25 AEST 2010

Chris Edwards wrote:
<snip>
> I think the biggest problem for these services is that the government
> appears determined to do everything it can to support the existing
> networks, even if their business models are no longer viable. Just look
> at the rebates that were announced, and the anti-siphoning list. Is
> broadcasting via IP (with the help of ISPs) really more expensive than
> the licence fees for spectrum?
<snip>

Last night, I switched to the 7.30 report to catch John
Clark and brian Dawe. Instead I found that they were doing a
special broadcast from the US. One of the interesting
snippets was a comment that though Obama is being labelled
radical - his GFC recovery package has funded the
preservation of the status quo - big banks and big car
makers (hopefully of smaller cars).
You can watch the latest program here:
<http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/>

The issue is to maintain the value of the spectrum and
scarcity helps to do this. The Spectrum is being used to
deliver Internet services and the demand for this depends on
the population. So, spectrum licenses in Sydney and
Melbourne are much more valuable than a license in Wagga
Wagga.

We have been through this before...my submission and link
to Broadcasting Public inquiry report released by the
Australian
Government on 11 April 2000 is at:
<http://www.ramin.com.au/marg/pcsub.html>

Marghanita