[LINK] McAfee update problem

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Apr 24 18:42:25 AEST 2010

On 2010/Apr/24, at 5:17 PM, Peter Bowditch wrote:

> Stil said:
>
>> Plus I did an episode of the "Patch Monday" podcast specifically
>> about
>> backups for small business.
>
> Here is a question I set in an assignment for the Cert II/III IT
> course I
> am teaching at TAFE. Only a single word answer was required for 10
> marks.
>
> You are one of those people who has all the CDs and DVDs for Windows
> and
> all the software you use and you have copied all the software you have
> purchased and downloaded from the Internet to an external hard
> drive. You
> are ready and able to reinstall everything if your computer crashes.
> What
> have you forgotten and how would you go about making sure that you
> really
> could get everything working again after a disaster?

Proper backups.  Backup testing.  Disaster recovery drills.

Recovery from reinstallation is a nightmare.  It can take days.  And
it doesn't give you your user data back.

Reasonable backup software is not built in to windows.  It would look
like "Time Machine" for Macs.  Builtin system software, runs
automatically when set up, setup is simple, able to *completely*
reconstruct a machine with a blank disk from the last snapshot in
about an hour or two.

Maybe there is something like this for windows.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant