[LINK] Good words

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Mon Apr 26 16:05:04 AEST 2010

I'm always on the lookout for well-phrased arguments. Other people
always seem to put their points so much better that I.

Of particular interest to me:
> ... Conroy compares the internet with means of publishing - books,
> films - and assumes it should be subject to the same classification
> controls as they are. In fact it should be compared with free means of
> communication - speech, telephones, newspapers* - which it more
> closely resembles, and in which governments intervene less because
> intervention is less likely to be effective.
* [not sure about that last - it's probably there because this was
published in a newspaper]
and
> ... by trying to control the net, Conroy raises expectations that such
> a thing can be done. When the measure fails, as it will, there will be
> pressure to crack down harder, to restrict freedoms further. And what
> happens when various pressure groups - well intended, no doubt, every
> one of them - decide that they would like views opposing theirs
> censored, and start to pressure governments to limit net access
> further? Can we be confident that Conroy would defend freedom of
> speech in particular instances, now that he has so easily given away
> the general principle?

>From
<http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/editorial/tea-party-brewing-a-rebellion-20100425-tlhf.html?skin=text-only>

Conroy tilts at a web windmill

STEPHEN CONROY, the Communications Minister, is feeling the heat over
his attempt to censor the internet for Australians. The latest critic is
the US government. Conroy, of course, is used to criticism. Internet
polls overwhelmingly oppose his measure. He was 2009's villain of the
year at international internet industry awards for his singleminded
doggedness in his self-appointed task. Reporters Without Borders has
placed Australia on its list of countries under surveillance as a
possible ''internet enemy''. He has shrugged it all off. We do not doubt
he has the self-belief similarly to shrug off criticism by the US State
Department as just more carping from an ungrateful world.

Yet the minister should listen more closely. His explanations for what
he proposes have been inadequate, and his justifications are equally so.
He lists sites dealing with child pornography and bestiality as among
those that would be banned as having been refused classification - just
as publications would be in other media. He asks: what's so special
about the internet? The answer is: nothing. But Conroy compares the
internet with means of publishing - books, films - and assumes it should
be subject to the same classification controls as they are. In fact it
should be compared with free means of communication - speech,
telephones, newspapers - which it more closely resembles, and in which
governments intervene less because intervention is less likely to be
effective.

Technology, in effect, makes his arguments about child pornography and
terrorist communications into red herrings. As information technology
experts attest, a filter will not work. Child pornography and other
horrors will still be available to those internet users who pursue the
(not particularly sophisticated) ways to circumvent it. The great
majority of internet users, needless to say, will steer well clear
unprompted. But by trying to control the net, Conroy raises expectations
that such a thing can be done. When the measure fails, as it will, there
will be pressure to crack down harder, to restrict freedoms further. And
what happens when various pressure groups - well intended, no doubt,
every one of them - decide that they would like views opposing theirs
censored, and start to pressure governments to limit net access further?
Can we be confident that Conroy would defend freedom of speech in
particular instances, now that he has so easily given away the general
principle?

By trying to sanitise the net, he is limiting what is becoming a basic
medium of information exchange, and gagging freedom of speech. He should
stop now.

--
David Boxall                    |  All that is required
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  for good men to do nothing.