[LINK] Songsmith

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Apr 27 14:45:26 AEST 2010

Here's a bit of fun. According to accounts, it works very well indeed:

 <http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/songsmith>

Free 98Mb download, and then after six hours, around $40 ..

They say ..

Get your first taste of songwriting.

Ever sing in the car? Maybe in the shower? You know who you are. Admit
it, you like to sing, and you like music. Ever thought of writing your
own music? Most people never get a chance to try... but we want to give
everyone a piece of the songwriting experience, so we’ve developed
Songsmith, an application that lets you create a complete song just by
singing! Are we going to turn you into an award-winning songwriter
overnight? Of course not. But Songsmith will give you a way to create
something authentically musical and authentically yours, even if you
don’t know the first thing about chords or music theory.

It’s as simple as clicking “record”.

Just open up Songsmith, choose from one of thirty different musical
styles, and press record. Sing whatever you like – a birthday song for
Mom, a love song for that special someone (they’ll be impressed that you
wrote a song for them!), or maybe just try playing with your favorite pop
songs. As soon as you press “stop”, Songsmith will generate musical
accompaniment to match your voice, and play back your song for you. It’s
that simple.

Songsmith is for musicians too.

For songwriters, is Songsmith going to replace the craft of songwriting?
Never. Could it be a super-useful “intelligent scratchpad” for exploring
new melodies and ideas? Definitely. If you’re a songwriter, you’ve
probably had the experience of coming up with a melody and finding the
nearest object with a “record” button on it just to get your idea down.
Imagine that first quick experience also letting you explore chord
progressions, styles, even basic arrangement ideas. Then of course you'd
work with other tools, other people, your instruments, and your own
musical intuition to really develop a song. But Songsmith can be a great
tool that lets you quickly explore new ideas in places where you couldn’t
before (on the go, on the bus, in the airport, etc.). And Songsmith works
great with instrumental input too!

Make it your song.

Of course, Songsmith’s ideas might not be exactly what you want for your
song. It’s music after all, and there’s no single right answer. So
Songsmith not only comes up with music for your song, but puts you in the
driver’s seat by letting you customize the chords and arrangement for
your song, even if you've never heard of “chords” before. Move
the “happy” and “jazzy” sliders around to get the chords you want. Lock
the chords you like and let Songsmith change the ones you don’t. Set up
your own custom band. Make it your song!

What can I do with the songs I make?

Save your songs as audio files to send to your friends and family or post
online at social networking sites. Share your Songsmith files with your
friends so they can put their ideas into your songs. Even create music
videos!

Rich instrument sounds make all the difference.

We’ve partnered with one of the industry’s finest digital instrument
producers – Garritan – and one of the leading developers of computer
synthesizers – Plogue – to provide rich instrumentation for your song.
These instruments are the real deal, and you can judge for yourself over
at our music page. Change the instruments as much as you like, and if you
want even more professional sounds, Songsmith will help you buy
additional instruments from Garritan.

Styles to suit everyone’s taste.

Songsmith includes thirty musical styles, from Rock to Hip-Hop to Country
to Jazz. We’ve tried to span the landscape of musical styles so you can
explore a variety of songs, and so a wide variety of folks can enjoy
Songsmith. And if you want even more breadth, we've partnered with PG
Music – makers of Band-in-a-Box – to allow you to expand your collection
of styles by purchasing more styles from PG Music

--

Cheers,
Stephen