[LINK] Fwd: Google vs. the Internet? AND Mobile vs NBN

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Sun Aug 8 02:10:48 AEST 2010

Curiously, the very foundation of the Net was the Person to person (P2P)
non central - diverse path routed communications
That Telco's have fought so hard against since deregulation.

As all charging models from Telco's, all interception laws and all
filtering regimes rely on a central distribution server to :

Throttle,
Filter,
And Count packets/frames/cells;

The very design of the internet needs to be technically [politically]
broken for us to return to the dark information lack-lustre newspaper
editorial oversight opinion ages of pre-net.
As that will not be possible because of the many diverse independent
oversight Net bodies... E.g.: NANOG, IETF, RIPE, Chancellors of .....
etc etc

Commercial interference is the next logical attack on Net "Neutrality".

Google have managed to offer a number of services that re-centralises
certain communications/interests back to a group of central servers.

If I was Government, I would either infiltrate Google quietly, or buy it
after the 1000MB/psec network is built.

The world urgently needs competitive new players in this space.

I refer to :

The new emerging amateur video industry
The existing text search industry
And of course, the backbone of our consumerist economy - the consumer
retail advertising industry. (Which in Australia, minus advertising
eliminated P2P downloads was worth an approximate 240 million per week
to the Australian economy.

(Reduced advertising induced buying patterns because people are leaving
FTA [free to air TV] and Foxtel for net VOD options means the economy
will suffer for longer.)

Advertising is not our only problem.

On the topic of cellphone based mobile broadband, we need to analyse
"real" broadband and bonded ersatz broadband that is over-taxing the
physical existing cell resources.
For example, Australian carriers will be insisting on HSPA/HSPDA
so-called ersatz 4G wireless delivery instead of wimax.
In this regard, thank-god for Kerry Stokes and his vision for the future
of unwired.

As HSPA uses a stacking algorithm for its bandwidth,  we already know
that there is insufficient spectrum available in the current and
proposed ACMA Spectrum plans for HSPA to service more than 1/20th of
Australia's Mobile population using wireless on HSPA.

As Unwired do not have dibs on all the necessary bandwidth (with the
exception of Perth - zero capital city 3.6 GHz coverage), we can safely
assume that there will be no viable wireless alternative in Australia
until the current licences expire and amalgamation takes place in about
2015.

Therefore the Libs can't really turn off the NBN and fallback to
wireless because the carriers preferred technology charging platform,
HSPA, will require a twenty year infrastructure build-out  to deliver
the same level of speed and reliability as the FTTH.

Sorry Richard, a circuitous answer, but I venture I have presented an
interesting conundrum.

Conclusion:

We need to retain the FTTH NBN plan regardless of who is steering the
ship, and, we need to promote [support] wimax as a technically superior
wireless product to Telstra, Optus and Vodaphone insistence on control
at all costs.
The easiest way to do that is if we all move to Perth and sign up to the
new wimax 3.6 service.... :-)

Disclaimer: I have no fiscal interest in anything from Channel seven,
but watch their developing and inspired en passant with great interest.
(I am a current Unwired subscriber.)

Tom