[LINK] High Court upholds GetUp! case

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Aug 8 14:58:06 AEST 2010

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> ... High Court today ruled that parts of the Electoral Act are unconstitutional ...

The High Court of Australia declaration is at:
<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/HCATrans/2010/207.html>.

It is very brief: "Declare that items 20, 24, 28, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 and
52 of Schedule 1 to the Electoral and Referendum Amendment (Electoral
Integrity and Other Measures) Act 2006 (Cth) are invalid."

I could not find a detailed statement of the reasoning behind the
court's decision. Perhaps they are still writing it.

The court does not appear to have been asked if it was legal for voters
to enrol using GetUp's online system:
<https://enrol.getup.org.au/enrolments/register>.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au