[LINK] ebook impact on Australian bookstores

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Thu Aug 12 17:05:11 AEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 03:24:00PM +1000, David Boxall wrote:
> On 12/08/2010 10:22 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> >    From Publishers Weekly:
> >> More Concerns about Australia/New Zealand Bookselling Giant
> Meanwhile, Kogan is selling a reader with spec's that I consider worth
> buying <http://www.kogan.com.au/media/uploads/manuals/kgnebk6vaa.pdf>,
> at a price that I consider worth paying
> <http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/category/ebook-readers/>. I'll wait to see
> how good the "customer experience" is. Looks like life will only get
> harder for producers and purveyors of physical books.

that looks a lot like the kobo, but with mp3 support enabled. is it
based on the same netronix EB600[1] board?

BTW, I bought a Kobo from Borders about a month ago. i'm quite happy
with it. it does exactly what i want it to - i can read books on it
WITHOUT the distraction of the internet or music, and without the
spyware built-in to devices like the kindle or ipad or iphone.

[1] according to the open inkpot site[2], used by Explay TXT.BOOK (version
3), PocketBook 301+, Orsio b731, Elonex 600eb, Coolreaders Cool-er,
Foxit eSlick Reader(newer), Bookeen Cybook Gen3/OPUS, DittoBook
DittoBook, Kolporter Info SA eClicto, Merlin HYEG0109B, and Kobo eReader

[2] http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Device/EB600

(unfortunately, not supported by OI yet. i'll probably install OI on my
kobo when it is supported)

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>