[LINK] ALP Net censorship policy hidden, but alive and far-reaching

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Tue Aug 17 15:55:57 AEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 03:21:47PM +1000, Robin Whittle wrote:
> Perhaps people think its OK to vote for Labor because this censorship
> policy will never make it through the Senate, due to Greens and
> Coalition opposition.  That is wrong too - we must not support any
> party which wants to constrain our ability to communicate freely.

true enough, but you need to have a sense of proportion.

the filter is bad policy, but only an idiot would think it's more
important than the danger of having a radical right-wing reactionary
prick like Abbott as PM.

He'd be just like Howard, but without even Howard's gentle concern for
the underpriviledged, veener-thin as it was. and with policies dictated
by the far-right of the catholic church, George Pell and the like (i.e.
christians who need a serious injection of Liberation Theology into
their world-view).

Howard with less brains, less political savvy, less willingness to
compromise or even listen to others, less disguise/softening of the
radical right ideology.

so, no thanks.  concern about the net filter is pretty low on my
agenda compared to that.

as for supporting Labor - well, i don't. but i'm willing to use
the preferential voting system to settle for them as a less-worse
alternative to Abbott. the winner of the election is inevitably going to
be either ALP or Lib/Nat, and i know who i definitely *don't* want.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>