[LINK] Senator Online

Philip Argy pargy at argystar.com
Wed Aug 18 09:37:34 AEST 2010

Maybe the party system has gone too far and one SOL per State might be a
nice balance.  If every member of Parliament always had a conscience vote on
everything I'd be happy, but in recent times we seem to have had a very
small number of out-of-touch people leading their 'loyal' colleagues to
support stupid decisions instead of crossing the floor or, at least, being
more assertive in the party room.  Not sure what the democratic equivalent
of market failure is but I fear we're about to realise it.  Maybe I've been
sufficiently impressed with Nick Xenophon's ability to cut through a lot of
the spin and engage sensibly on issues that I'd like to see more like him,
but I don't want to get too off topic.  This thread is simply to consider
technological as well as philosophical implications of what SOL are
proposing.

Philip