[LINK] NBN white-elephant-to-be: better spend the $$$ on other things

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Aug 19 17:03:55 AEST 2010

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> <snip>
>> According to the ABS, "Housing Mobility and Conditions" study, 43% of
>> people had moved in the five years prior to 2008. So I over-estimated
>> (ie, mis-remembered) the annual move rate, but it's still
>> significant. My point was that a connection to a particular location
>> doesn't only need to serve today's occupant, which I think can stand!
>>
> <snip>
>
> No...when I used to rent, one of the issues was
> disconnection from a premises for a prolonged
> period incurred a heavy reconnection fee.
>
> This may have been in the old days, when points at an
> exchange were analog and in short supply. Or maybe
> related to the electrical connection...by the way, where
> will the backup batteries be for the fibre?
Batteries will be at your place, according to the current NBN Co and
Comms Alliance documents.

> Sure stick cable whereever you like, but maintenance should
> then be the responsility of the owner of the cable and they
> can pay rent for use of the land to the owner.
Telstra doesn't pay rent to bring its copper into your place. Sydney
Electricity, AGL, Sydney Water ditto. Why would the change of
infrastructure lead to a change of practice?

Regarding maintenance: it is the responsibility of the owner of the
cable. Telstra is responsible up to the network boundary; NBN Co would
be responsible up to the network termination box.

RC
> In the last couple of days heard two stories about people
> with foxtel...one inheritated it from a son who moved out,
> they have now disconnected and use a PVR on free to air.
> The second had some story that foxtel wanted to
> replace their set top box, they apparently have multiple -
> but her complaint was that she hadn't yet watched what she
> had recorded...there was also something about HD...
>
> By the way, does anyone know about the access points, in the
> footpaths with an AWA logo on them, I noticed one today in
> Annandale. Were they offering cable  before the days of
> wireless or was this the line to the telegraph?
Where in Annandale?