[LINK] tRe: NBN white-elephant-to-be ...

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Aug 25 12:48:44 AEST 2010

Roger Clarke wrote:
> When I saw the viral letter ('$60bn Fiasco'), I:
> -   wrote to someone who I knows more about broadband than I do
<snip>
> Similarly, his faith in wireless is wildly optimistic. He does
> acknowledge contention ratios, but nevertheless goes on to intimate
> that 100Mbps performance could be a realistic customer expectation.
> The spectrum required to deliver this to bandwidth hungry customers
> in high-density urban areas just isn't available unless cell-sizes
> are reduced to ridiculously small levels (a tower every few hundred
> meters). Once again, he could do well to go back and study some basic
> physics.
><snip>

Sorry Roger,

Your correspondent sounds like a fibre optic junkie.

FWIW - Energy Australia is replacing its copper with
Aluminium (for their electricity grid).

Deploying a tower every few hundred metres isn't as
difficult as deploying capiliaries of fibre terminated with
something to convert from optical transmission to
electricity, for either wireless or ethernet LAN (basic
common sense).

In any event, the NBN in high density urban areas is a
non-issue - the market meets demand.

Linkers may also like to note this snippet from the
2010 Charles Todd Memorial Oration by
NBN Co chief executive, Mike Quigley:
> Paul Fletcher in his book Wired Brown Land wrote what you
> see up on this slide:
>
> My fundamental argument is that we need to get the
> market structure right first if we do that, the right
> technology will follow.
>
>       " .. a market structure in which there are multiple
> providers of retail telephony and broadband services ? and
> they all operate over the same network on equal terms. For
> that to happen, none of them must own or control the
> network. Instead, they must buy services from the owner of
> the network? and in turn the network owner must be
> restricted to selling services in the wholesale market
> rather than the retail market.? (viii)
>
>I think Paul absolutely nailed it with these words,
> arguing for a single national wholesale only provider.
<http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/357411/2010_charles_todd_memorial_oration_by_nbn_co_chief_executive_mike_quigley/?pp=2&rid=-100>

Paul Fletcher  now Liberal MP was
> Paul Fletcher is Director, Corporate and. Regulatory Affairs at Optus. In this role he has responsibility for the internal legal function; regulatory issues ...
> www.atug.com.au/bio/BioPaulFletcher.pdf - Similar

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz