[LINK] tRe: NBN white-elephant-to-be ...

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Thu Aug 26 15:13:41 AEST 2010

On 26/08/2010 1:36 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
> ... Perhaps we already have
> fibre to many nodes, I wouldn't know but suspect it.
In 2003, when Telstra replaced disintegrating copper in my (rural) area,
they apparently lay fibre along with the replacement copper
<http://david.boxall.id.au/Phone1.html>. Shortly afterwards, a
contractor indicated that doing so was standard practice
<http://david.boxall.id.au/ISDN.html>. It's quite possible that there
are thousands of kilometres of fibre, installed as opportunities arose,
which Telstra has kept dark to maximise return on their copper. Whether
that will be used for the NBN and what impact it will have on
establishment costs, we might not have an opportunity to see.

--
David Boxall                    |  When a distinguished but elderly
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  possible, he is almost certainly
                                |  right. When he states that
                                |  something is impossible, he is
                                |  very probably wrong.