[LINK] tRe: NBN white-elephant-to-be ...

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Aug 26 15:51:23 AEST 2010

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> Kim Holburn wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Because those towers, nodes need to be connected to something to be
>> useful and what we use to do this today is fibre.
>>

> so, how will that change...though I think there are also
> microwave connections, which someone else implied in
> their comments,  somewhere in this thread.

There are; but this is becoming inadequate. It's bandwidth-limited and
high latency. The 4G stuff works best with Ethernet to the base station;
which takes us back to fibre.

If you notice people complaining about various carriers' 3G broadband
performance, this is one of the issues they're running into.

RC