[LINK] tRe: NBN white-elephant-to-be ...

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Fri Aug 27 14:49:41 AEST 2010

On 2010/Aug/27, at 12:10 PM, David Boxall wrote:

> On 26/08/2010 3:56 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> Say between Canberra and Sydney, how many towers,
>> how many relays, how much power for say 45Mb compared to one fibre?
>> Maybe a relay or two but all but built in to the cable. ...
>
> So, long term, fibre is the green alternative?

Cheaper, greener.   Perhaps cheaper is the more important here.

Fibre is much cheaper and less energy intensive to make and far less
energy to run than copper.  So far it has been the terminations and
optical transceivers that are more expensive.  I imagine this will
change eventually.  For instance if nearly every household in
Australia has one - it might help bring the price down.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant