[LINK] Study casts doubt on claims for broadband

George Bray georgebray at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 08:22:14 AEDT 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Jan Whitaker <jwhit at melbpc.org.au> wrote:
> This is probably the difference between technical capability and
> implementation decision. Because I live 60km from a hub, does it make
> sense if I'm the ONLY person at the end? One of the advantages (I
> think?) of the urban install is that we share the glass along the
> street. We don't each get a strand, do we?

The optical distance constraints in the NBNCo documentation (in August
2010) mention 15Km as the distance the Fibre Access Nodes can reach.
Each can serve 76,800 premises via Fibre Distribution Hubs, each
subscriber with their own drop.

<http://nbnco.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/main/site-base/main-areas/publications-and-announcements/publications/guidelines-for-fibre-to-the-premises-underground-deployment>

George