[LINK] RFI: Intrusive Internet Mechanisms

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Thu Dec 2 17:31:07 AEDT 2010

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 17:10:30 +1100, Kim Holburn wrote:

> I was going to say, I think you need to do this on the \flashplayer\
> directory not just the \sys\ directory.  Flash stores it's cookies
> through various directories under the \flashplayer\ directory.

Yeah, it would likely be better to do it on the higher up directory in
Windows that is ..\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application
Data\Macromedia\Flash Player

However, at the moment, it appears to me that storage of flash cookies in
higher directories than /sys/ is prevented by setting global preferences,
via the Adobe site, to storage=0, given I set that a long time ago and it
was working effectively until I unthinkingly deleted the global settings
file yesterday when mucking around.

So for now I decided to only deny write access to /sys/ directory (to see
if that worked and facilitate potential trouble shooting by, for now,
making limited/minimal changes). I don't necessarily trust businesses such
Adobe and I intend to keep an eye on the higher level directories. In due
course when I become more sure that what I've done isn't causing any
problem (although I'm pretty sure it won't), I will likely decide to apply
deny write access to higher level Flash directories in \Documents and
Settings\ (all of which only store user profiles/settings - the main
directory for Flash program itself in typical Windows installs is not in
the \Documents and Settings\ directories).

Irene