[LINK] Assange, Wikileaks and the reaction ...

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Thu Dec 2 19:45:32 AEDT 2010

Seems to me the latest WikiLeaks release has
revealed any number of conundrums, completely
unrelated to their content.

Our politicians of course are averse to being
embarrassed, and have called for the blood of
Assange and anyone else related to the release of
the cables. In a spectacular over-reaction they
and their overseas brethren have involved
Interpol - via political interference with same
in my opinion Š in their response. (Can anyone
point me at another alleged sex offender Š in
which the case seem to revolve around consent
after the initial act had, by the victim's own
admission, been consensual Š who is on Interpol's
Most Wanted List? And with such alacrity?)

Interpol has lost a lot of credibility Š it's
reputation may be permanently damaged.

And the American politicians.  One wants Assange
prosecuted for treason Š completely ignoring the
fact that even if the crime could be proved
against an American citizen (and that would be
unlikely given their Constitution, the nature of
the materials, Wikileaks place in the chain of
events, and various political and legal
realities), Assange is Australian and therefore
couldn't satisfy one of the major prerequisites
of the crime.

Better to just burn him as a witch, Mate.

Governments and their bureaucrats. Well, they
like their dirty laundry hidden. Bureaucrats
believe in anonymity, lack of accountability and
responsibility, and their own omnipotence. They
pay lip service to 'freedom of information', but
whenever anyone tries to exercise said privileges
(sadly it isn't a right in any democracy I know
of) they place a myriad of processes, procedures,
charges, editing and other obstacles in the way
of releasing said information. So, it's not
surprising they uniformly condemn Assange.

The Fourth Estate? Having spent the last 20 to 30
years becoming 'embedded' with politicians,
government, the military and whoever (as part of
the devils contract they now meekly assent to)
will drip feed mostly harmless information in
their direction Š they too seem to detest Assange
and WikiLeaks. Just heard some journos on the ABC
condemning him for having no journalistic ethics
Š rather than asking themselves why the
whistleblowers no longer go to them. Why their
credibility is no longer as high as it was in the
early 80's.

I mean, if you insert yourself into the corridors
of power, and you sell your soul to do so, and
your credibility drops through the floor, and the
only thing you have left to sell is your
editorialising (rather than hard news) Š then you
do have a problem in these days of widely
disseminated and uncontrolled information
channels don't you? I mean these are the guys who
decided to give away all the investigative
journalism techniques and live on press releases
Š thereby becoming glorified PR hacks. Don't
blame Assange for that.

And Assange and WikiLeaks have never made any
pretence that they are journalists. They simply
receive and disseminate information. So, why
these journos should be castigating them for lack
of ethics that apply to journos is a mystery to
me.

The releases themselves? Well, I haven't seen any
surprises yet Š I mean these seem to be pretty
widely held opinions before hand Š and are just
confirmed in the form of cables sent by
diplomatic staff. The US spies on people!!
Australia is a rock solid US ally!! Vladimir
Putin is a tough guy!! The president of North
Korea is a few cans short of a six pack!! I mean
Š have you ever heard the like?

(These are, of course, revelations for our press
Š but they are still in 'being spoon fed' mode.)

All up, the latest WikiLeaks release has shown a
number of petty minded and debatable
characteristics amongst those we like to consider
our leadership. The press hasn't fared well
either. I look forward to more of their
hysterical and ill-considered bluster over the
next few weeks - it's been very educational and
shown up any number of spiteful and brain dead
individuals for what they are.

So, sit back and enjoy Š unless you are one of
the parties mentioned above, that is.