[LINK] ebook creation software (was Re: Book monopolies)

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Fri Dec 3 10:47:50 AEDT 2010

Nice, thanks Craig.

epub is a nice format because it is possible to adjust it fairly easily.  I found it definitely helps to convert your book into html first and hand adjust it before converting it to epub.  Especially for things like tables of contents.  epub is a kind of special format zip file.  It is easy to unpack it and hand edit the files which are essentially xml html and css.  It is not quite so simple to rezip it but you can use a special script to get the files zipped in the right order with the right compression.

mobi on the other hand I haven't found a way to adjust or edit and is somewhat of a pain.

Converting from Word to html is, as you say, something of a disaster.  On the other hand converting from openoffice documents to html is not too bad.  OO is also much more stable for real books and much better for generating PDFs.