[LINK] the all-out scramble to stop Wikileaks and jail Assange started the day after it was announced that the next document dump would be from Citibank

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Mon Dec 6 08:31:16 AEDT 2010

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 10:19:40PM +1100, Kim Holburn wrote:

> Interesting comment from slashdot:
> http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1896338&cid=34447678

> > How fitting that Interpol should issue arrest warrants for Julian
> > Assange and former Vice President Dick Cheney within 24 hours of
> > each other.

this sentence caught my eye because I hadn't heard *anything* about a
warrant for Cheney, while the warrant for Assange is being trumpeted so
loudly that it's impossible to avoid knowing about.

while a google search indicates that this isn't quite true (yet -
Nigerian authorities have said they are *going to* charge Cheney with
bribery and issue it through interpol), it's amazing that the interpol
warrant for Assange is front-page news on mainstream papers all around
the world, but there's barely a peep about the pending Cheney warrant
in the mainstream press. according to a google search for "interpol
+cheney", almost the only sites even mentioning it are online news
sites and blogs. the only "mainstream" sites even mentioning it are AOL
News[1] & Bloomberg Business Week[2].

even the fact that an arrest warrant is about to be issued for the
former Vice President of the US *should* be front page news everywhere.

[1] http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/article/nigeria-to-interpol-arrest-dick-cheney/19742388
[2] http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-12-01/nigeria-to-charge-dick-cheney-in-pipeline-bribery-case.html

craig

--