[LINK] [NAB] Bank calls in KPMG to review system debacle

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Tue Dec 7 09:49:07 AEDT 2010

<brd>
Declaration: I work for KPMG but have no involvement in this review
</brd>

Bank calls in KPMG to review system debacle
Fran Foo
The Australian
December 07, 2010 12:00AM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/bank-calls-in-kpmg-to-review-system-debacle/story-e6frgakx-1225966632302

NATIONAL Australia Bank has brought in KPMG to conduct a forensic
examination of the processing meltdown that affected millions of customers.

NAB chief executive Cameron Clyne, who apologised in newspaper
advertisements over the debacle, will go through the KPMG report in detail.

The NAB processing system started going belly-up two weeks ago in the
early hours of November 25 due to software coding errors. It is
understood someone with access to NAB's mainframe systems, either an
internal staff member or one of the bank's IT outsourcing partners in
India, inadvertently bypassed a piece of code that checks BSBs against
addresses.

This happened during the batch transaction cycle and disrupted the
bank's ability to process the files.

The systems that NAB and other banks rely on for transaction processing
are robust but each line of code needs to be executed sequentially.

NAB was asked to confirm if the BSB-checking error had led to the chain
of events, but spokesman George Wright would not provide more
information pending the review.

"What we are primarily focused on at the moment is ensuring that we
address all the customer impacts associated with the processing delays
that impacted customers are not left out-of-pocket as a result of the
delays," Mr Wright said.

"We do though take this matter very seriously and will also be
conducting a very thorough review of the incident and any issues
associated with it across all relevant areas within the bank."

Mr Wright confirmed that last week NAB appointed KPMG to probe the
causes behind the IT disaster. "I can confirm that NAB has initiated a
comprehensive investigation and review of the incident and all relevant
matters associated with it," he said.

"This independent review will be conducted by KPMG and will be provided
directly to the CEO."

Mr Wright could not say when the review would be completed but that it
had commenced and would be "conducted promptly but thoroughly and
properly". What remains unclear is why it took so long for NAB to
resuscitate its systems after the initial coding errors, which also
affected other banks, such as Commonwealth, Westpac, ANZ, HSBC, St
George, Bank of Queensland and Citibank.

The IT saga left many unable to access their salaries or welfare
benefits. Other account holders reported missing or duplicate transactions.

More than 6500 compensation claims from customers seeking refunds of
bank fees, interest and late payment charges had been lodged with the
bank as of late last week.

Small business retail peak body United Retail Federation said it was
seeking legal advice on a possible class action against NAB for losses
blamed on glitches with the bank's auto-teller network, eftpos system
and credit cards.

Over the past few years, NAB has identified pieces of its core-banking
technology functions to outsource to the likes of Infosys and Satyam
under its information technology outsourcing strategy spearheaded by
former chief information officer Michelle Tredenick.

Signs that NAB was gearing up to shed jobs became apparent in 2008, when
then NAB technology banking general manager Craig Bright said IT staff
numbers could drop from 2600 to fewer than 1000 over the next five
years. He told IT employees during a briefing that the cuts would come
as a result of the ITO exercise.

As reported last week, about 400 NAB IT infrastructure roles are about
to be transferred to IBM under an outsourcing arrangement. The Finance
Sector Union has called on the bank to provide a briefing on the system
error, its causes, remedies and future avoidance strategies. The FSU
said NAB had yet to respond.

The union wants the bank to postpone employee performance objectives,
such as customer satisfaction ratings, that would have been influenced
by the glitch.

The processing problems have not been fully resolved, NAB's website
yesterday said: "We know that some customers are still experiencing
inconsistencies and we're actively working to address these as soon as
possible."

--

Regards
brd