[LINK] Fwd: An open letter to the PM re Julian Assange

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Tue Dec 7 20:53:49 AEDT 2010

Jon Seymour wrote:

> Nice sentiment, but can you recall the last time a Federal Labor
> politician ever expressed anything remotely resembling support for the
> Rule Of Law?
>
> Think Haneef, think Hicks. Think offshore detention regimes.

Beyond a nice sentiment, there is overwhelming support for the
actions taken by WikiLeaks in the comments section of the web
page holding the letter. Or there was. The comments have been
elided :(

I do not expect the PM to answer this letter. It serves a different
purpose. It raises awareness. It helps crystalise people's own
opinions and viewpoints on some important issues relating to
democracy and the abuse of power.

To answer your question, I recall the Howard gummint running to
the law books in order to extradite Aussie software pirate

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/aussie-software-pirate-extradited/2007/05/06/1178390182639.html

Oops ... that was the Libs. But your examples of Haneef, Hicks
and Gitmo occurred under Howard's regime.

Labour?

Julia Irwin:
http://antonyloewenstein.com/2010/03/18/adhere-to-the-rule-of-law-says-labor-mp-to-israel-and-her-backers/

But that was about all google could find for me :(

Aside: I was reading up on the lack of a Bill of Rights in Australia
just now (classic web diversion while looking for WikiLeaks news)
and from the political overtones of the current situation, I think it
is exactly a fear of the rule of law in this regard that stops politicians
from taking any action in this area. We are the only western democracy
without such protections in our constitution or at least in charter.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
      -- Thomas Jefferson