[LINK] Fwd: An open letter to the PM re Julian Assange

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Tue Dec 7 23:20:03 AEDT 2010

Ummmm ...

Haneef and Hicks occurred on the Coalition Watch ... and the offshore
solution was created by Howard and the lads as well.

That said, Labor have been almost as diligent in catering to the
bigoted and prejudiced elements in the electorate as the Lib/Nats
were. Politicians never fail to disappoint in their race to the
bottom ... ably assisted by pollsters, low end populists, bottom of
the pond scum sucking media and lobbyists who also cater to these
detestable elements of our society.

On refugees, my only hope is that the economy goes into meltdown, and
the government (whether they be Labor or Coalition) suddenly sees the
need to economise and not spend more than a million dollars per
refugee to gain whatever transient legal advantage they think it's
gonna gain them ... and that even the narrow minded and bigoted
racists realise that it's costing real tax dollars and benefits that
could be applied elsewhere.

On Assange and WikiLeaks ... this is just the vindictive, short
sighted reaction of a bunch of populist politicians and bureaucrats
(including our own gutless Labor Party, pathetic Australian
Government, the contemptible Coalition), sycophantically cuddling up
to a major power, and abandoning a citizen of this country who as far
as I can work out hasn't committed any of the crimes these countries
(except maybe Sweden) have accused him of. (And the Swedish
prosecution really rests on shaky ground anyway, if you take into
account the published statements of the alleged victim  - it
involves, consent, consensual sex, oops condom broke, don't consent,
oops ... which IMHO will make it hard to sustain a rape or even a
sexual assault conviction.)

What would be really sad would be if Assange was surrendered to the
Swedish authorities who, (SURPRISE! SURPRISE!) suddenly realise that
they have a shaky case, and turn him over to the Americans so they
can run their witch hunt and introduce retrospective laws that allow
them to burn foreign citizens at the stake.

If that happens ... nothing will save Gillard and the Labor Party in
the next election, because they have been an instrumental part of
this witch hunt.

Now ... given that an Australian passport isn't worth anything, and
if I do do anything overseas the Australian government will instantly
presume I'm guilty of something and actively assist whatever loon
wants to nail me, I'm gonna investigate acquiring Irish and UK
passports. I'm entitled through my mother ... and it would give me a
lot more security when I travel than the Australian government is
ever likely to do.

Lucky Country ... right.

Australians ... we can get trampled by anyone and our government
won't lift a finger - and if the Bali 9 are indicative, they'll help
people execute you. I mean, they're just there to do whatever anyone
from other more powerful countries wants them to do, aren't they? Not
to protect the rights and lives of their own citizens ... what a
fanciful notion that would be.

						Regards,
---