[LINK] Visa and Mastercard shutting, but send to UniMelb instead

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Wed Dec 8 11:25:53 AEDT 2010

"Assange's website, meanwhile, came under increasing financial
pressure Tuesday -- with both Visa and MasterCard saying they would
block payments to the controversial website.

In a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press, Visa Inc. said it
was taking steps "to suspend Visa payment acceptance on WikiLeaks'
website pending further investigation into the nature of its business
and whether it contravenes Visa operating rules."

MasterCard sent a similar statement, saying it would suspend payments
"until the situation is resolved."

The move chokes off two important funding avenues for WikiLeaks, a
loosely knit group of activists who rely on individual donations to
fund their operations.

PayPal Inc., a popular online payment service, has already cut its
links to the website, while Swiss authorities closed Assange's bank
account on Monday, freezing several tens of thousands of euros,
according to his lawyers.

WikiLeaks is still soliciting donations through bank transfers to
affiliates in Iceland and Germany, as well as by mail to an address
at University of Melbourne in Australia."

http://www.9news.com/news/world/article.aspx?storyid=168391&catid=347

  http://snipurl.com/1lsbdd

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com