[LINK] Transparency [Was: Wikileaks, Assange, etc.]

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Dec 8 11:44:29 AEDT 2010

On 2010/Dec/08, at 10:56 AM, Rick Welykochy wrote:

> Roger Clarke wrote:
>
>> What my analysis above is trying to do is to provide a framework for
>> sensible discussions about the leaking of content that the originator
>> had hoped would be accessible by very few people.
>
> Is there evidence that the originator of the leaks (in this case, the
> diplomatic cables, I presume) had such hopes? If so, what would be the
> purpose of the leaks?
>

>> Aside:  Looking at 'the big picture' rather than the short-term
>> assault on one person and one virtual organisation, I'm disappointed
>> that Wikileaks as an organisation will be destroyed by Assange and
>> team overplaying their hand.  OTOH, a mass of individuals and
>> organisations have leapt into the breach.  Hopefully, one or more
>> services will emerge that adopt a 'justifiable leaks only' policy
>> rather than a 'mass, indiscriminate leaks' approach.
>
> WikiLeaks is not publishing all leaked documents. They are actively
> examining each and every document they publish. In the case of the cables,
> they have learned from the Afghan War Logs, and now "blue pencil" leaked
> documents by replacing what they consider to be sensitive or risky
> information with "%%%". This is evident by examining leaked cables.
>
> Be aware that Assange has also publicly stated that should he be killed
> or incarcerated he has a put into place a mechanism to release ALL documents
> they have received to the public. This supports WikiLeaks claim that they
> are not currently intending to publish everything they have on their web site.
> I do not know if this applies to the large trache of documents they have
> supplied to their five or so media partners.

Wikileaks has asked several news organisations to help them redact cables or parts of cables.  Those news organisations included NYT, the Guardian, el Paise and der Spiegel.  The New York Times asked the US government to help them and I believe the US Government did help NYT.  Wikileaks asked the US government to help them redact cables and the US government declined.  I think wikileaks itself released less than some of the press.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant