[LINK] Fwd: IE9 and tracking

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Thu Dec 9 19:52:32 AEDT 2010

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 17:18:06 +1100, Roger Clarke wrote:

> From: Sassoon Grigorian <sassoong at microsoft.com>
[...]
> Dear Professor Clarke
[...]
> We look forward to receiving input and feedback from all parties
> prior to IE9's final release. In the meantime, please visit
> <http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_on_the_issues/>http://blogs.tec
> hnet.com/b/microsoft_on_the_issues/ for more information on Tracking
> Protection.

That URL is imo mostly fluff, but imo somewhat helpfully links to:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/12/07/ie9-and-privacy-introducing-t
racking-protection-v8.aspx

That latter URL tends to suggest that someone/s at MS have acquired a bit
of a clue about some 'user' worries, but how much of that arises from MS
itself, or from catch up with functionality already available in other
browsers, and/or FTC "Do Not Track" commentary, is an open question.

I could probably say quite a lot about whatever 'anti-tracking' type
mechanisms that MS is intending to implement in IE9, which at present is
not very clear to me.

So, I limit this post to what are imo a few key/core issues:

a) the default in IE9 will (according to MS) be allow all tracking, same as
in existing IE browser. Will users who install/run for the first time, IE9,
be told that there is a new 'opt-out' option that they can switch on if
they wish. If yes, (imo unlikely), exactly how will they be told about it.
(My guess is the option will be hidden in 'advanced' user type options,
that most users probably don't know about/never look at).

b) If a user discovers that option and switches it on, will it stop
tracking prior to the user either creating a Tracking Protection List
and/or finding and installing one possibly made available by a third party.
(I think the answer is no).

c) The commentary/info on the blogs.msdn.com page says:
"Anyone or any organization can create a TPL [Tracking Protection List] (it
is just a file that can be placed on a website) and consumers can add and
remove lists as they see fit, having more than one if they wish. To keep
everyone's experience up to date, the browser will automatically check for
updates to lists on a regular basis."

Does "anyone" mean that a user of IE9 who has minimal technical knowledge
will be able to create their own personal TPL, or will they have to rely on
some organisation to create a TPL they may wish to 'subscribe' to and set
their IE9 browser to check for TPL updates regularly?

Imo, it seems quite doubtful that this proposed new functionality in IE9
will encourage anyone who uses Firefox or Opera, with relevant
blocking/anti-tracking extensions/user javascript, etc, to switch to MS.
Whether it will be good/helpful for people who use IE9 most probably
depends on how obvious it is to them that they have a new 'opt-opt'
mechanism and how easy or hard it is to configure it. If it's not obvious
and easy to configure, then I doubt it any will make difference to pressure
on FTC etc for "Do Not Track" type rules.

[Roger, feel most welcome to onforward this post of mine to the Link list
to Sassoon (while I could write a direct email with such questions, since
you rec'd the email from MS seeking feedback, maybe you've got more chance
of receiving answers than this likely unknown person has.)]

Irene