[LINK] Government gives thumbs down to PDF format

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Mon Dec 13 21:24:23 AEDT 2010

On 13/12/2010, at 9:06 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> I´m not chastising graphics designers for not performing their work as
> trained. I believe many rightly assume they should put good graphics
> design  (visually pleasing design) on top, and think about other
> considerations later, like open standards or accesibility. I´t s a
> bias of their profession.

<rant>

No, it is not.

Good (and great) graphic designers put communication first, and are taught this as a first principle. Otherwise they wouldn't find any work. Their bias is to communicate well.  A core responsibility of the designer's job is to present information in a way that is both accessible and memorable.

Their training is to make stuff actually work for the intended audience. Good design is always interpreted as practically invisible.

Good graphic designers are particular about doing it right, and getting the detail right, too. Being 'right' means following the brief, which is invariably to communicate something to the audience described.

Bland and inaccurate generalisations about any profession or population annoy the #$%& out of me, and this thread is one of the most recent and persistent examples.

</rant>

iT