[LINK] Human rights must not be party political

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Mon Dec 13 21:49:19 AEDT 2010

On 13/12/10 8:40 PM, Tom Koltai wrote:

> Not all of them, I am pleased to say.
> Without naming names...

I'll grant that there are always exceptions, but if I were a betting
man I'd put my money on such people never becoming Attorney-General.

> On the weekend, I attended a shopping centre and was pleasantly
> surprised to find the local (state) member with a table and chair,
> taking to anyone that wanted to sit down with him.
> The cynical side of me says... We must be having a state election soon.

March, right?  ;)

> The "I believe in the goodness of humanity" side of me, says, I have
> never yet seen a politician so open, approachable and who took so many
> copious notes when talking to constituents.

I must admit I've seen a couple who've really dived in to things out
of genuine good intentions.

> I wanted to share that with you boys and girls, I observed him for a
> while and there were no "asides" to his assistant (actually his
> wife) there were no skyward glances behind peoples backs. There
> appeared to be a genuine concern and interest in what his
> constituents wanted to talk about.

Ah, extra points.

> Now if we could get legislation passed that mandated that every
> politician to do that every Saturday morning, wouldn't the world be
> a better place?

Which would be followed by class actions from the children of
politicians against the country for the emotional distress of dealing
with legislation that their political parent was never permitted to
watch them play football/cricket/whatever for their entire school
lives.

Regards,
Ben