[LINK] Surviving a nuclear bomb

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Dec 17 15:11:45 AEDT 2010

At 02:26 PM 17/12/2010, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

>Administration officials argue that the cold war created an unrealistic
>sense of fatalism about a terrorist nuclear attack. "It's more survivable
>than most people think," said an official deeply involved in the
>planning, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "The key is avoiding
>nuclear fallout."

I guess 'duck and cover' was right all along. Who else was taught in
the 50s and 60s to jump under your school desk if the big one hit?
Raise hands. I wonder if kids today have ever heard the word
'fall-out' before. I think I was probably 6 or 7 when I first heard
it. We didn't have one, but many people had 'fallout shelters'. My
grandparents had a room in the basement with a cot and lots of food,
just in case.

How times have changed.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia