[LINK] Surviving a nuclear bomb

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Fri Dec 17 17:14:05 AEDT 2010

On 2010/Dec/17, at 3:19 PM, Stilgherrian wrote:

> On 17/12/2010, at 3:11 PM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>> I guess 'duck and cover' was right all along. Who else was taught in
>> the 50s and 60s to jump under your school desk if the big one hit?
>> Raise hands. I wonder if kids today have ever heard the word
>> 'fall-out' before. I think I was probably 6 or 7 when I first heard
>> it. We didn't have one, but many people had 'fallout shelters'. My
>> grandparents had a room in the basement with a cot and lots of food,
>> just in case.
>>
>> How times have changed.
>
> I consider it a singular failure of modern Australian society that most people I speak to have no idea what to do in case of a nuclear strike.

Why?  Because we are too unimportant and too distant to be a target?  Sounds like a win to me.

Anyway it's easy: What to do in case of a nuclear strike: die, get horribly burnt, or get missed.

> That, and Hey Hey It's Saturday.

Perhaps we could expand that to commercial TV in general.  Then again, I'm not sure this is solely an Australian failure.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant