[LINK] Hardie's Decision ...

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Sat Dec 18 09:29:04 AEDT 2010

http://www.theage.com.au/business/hellicars-board-ban-overturned-20101217-190uy.html

So,

1. Non executive directors aren't responsible for the actions of the
board's they sit on, unless they have been extensively briefed on all
matters - and they have no oversight responsibility at all.

2. Non executive directors (and presumably their executive brethren)
can sign off on the Minutes of meetings, but that is not to be taken
seriously.

3. The corporate veil protects everyone who would otherwise be
responsible for the acts or omissions of a company, seemingly without
restriction.

Hey, with Hardie it looks like the government is picking up the $2
billion tab ... no matter what the politicians say ... so if the
company isn't going to be held to account, why should we hold the
directors to account?

And what the heck, now that the company is permanently resident
off-shore why should they be held responsible for what happens to
thousands of dying asbestos sufferers in Australia?

The corporate veil, guys. Our judicial system seems to live (and let
thousands of others die) by it.

The question now remains as to why these people (directors,
politicians, judges etc) are remunerated in any way given that they
are not responsible or accountable or even look to have the
responsibility and accountability applicable to a three year old
child.

Just another one of those inexplicable facts of life like why we are
hit with penny ante-ing credit card charges by those traders we deem
worthy of our custom, why delivery services never actually deliver
any more (they simply whack a note in your letter-box telling us
where the item can be picked up), why power and utility charges can
increase by a factor of 80% in a year and we just go along with it,
why false advertising and outright lies are de riguer in our
corporate sector, why telecommunications products are so confusing
and comparatively more expensive each year (one would have thought
that the 'efficiencies' the telcom executives boast about would have
led to reduced costs) why bank fees and charges can become so legion
and why both depositors and borrowers can be ripped off on interest
... the list is legion and, hey ... the apathy of our times I guess.

We just take it up the ass.

I love this country ... given a skerrick of a chance our so called
leadership (government, business, financial, judicial or whatever)
will abrogate their duties, rip of those they are supposedly
accountable to, commit all manner of crime and misdemeanor, and
maintain that they are not responsible or accountable for anything
bad that happens of their so-called 'watch'.

Why do we tolerate these clowns? Why do we let ourselves be ripped off?

Just a rhetorical question folks ... I'm well aware is that the
answer is we get what we deserve.

					Regards,