[LINK] Google Warning

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Dec 23 01:35:37 AEDT 2010

Google News

<http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-hacked-site-
notifications-in-search.html>

New hacked site notifications in search results

Friday, December 17, 2010 at 10:00 AM   Webmaster level: All (snip)

Today we’ve added a new notification to our search results that helps
people know when a site may have been hacked.

We’re expanding the search results notifications to help people avoid
sites that may have been compromised and altered by a third party,
typically for spam.

Clicking our "This site may be compromised" link brings you to an article
in our Help Center which explains more about the notice. Meanwhile,
clicking the result itself brings you to the target website, as expected.

We use a variety of automated tools to detect common signs of a hacked
site as quickly as possible. When we detect something suspicious, we’ll
add the notification to our search results. We’ll also do our best to
contact the site’s webmaster via their Webmaster Tools account and any
contact email addresses we can find on the webpage. We hope webmasters
will also appreciate these notices, because it will help you more quickly
discover when someone may be abusing your site so you can correct the
problem.

Of course, we also understand that webmasters may be concerned that these
notices are impacting their traffic from search. Rest assured, once the
problem has been fixed, the warning label will be automatically removed
from our search results, usually in a matter of days. You can also
request a review of your site to accelerate removal of the notice.

If you see this notification appearing on your site’s listing, please
take a look at the instructions in our Help Center to learn how you can
begin to address the problem. Together, we can make the web a safer place.

Posted by Gideon Wald,
Google Associate Product Manager

--

Cheers,