[LINK] Computer Science in Australian Schools

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Tue Feb 2 21:39:32 AEDT 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 06:02:03PM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > yes, there's definitely a need for real Computer Science education -
> > understanding the hardware, programming, software engineering, data
> > modeling, and more.
>
> What's funny is all of the above isn't really core computer science -
> all of the basics don't require touching anything you've mentioned.

you think understanding the hardware isn't part of the basics?

knowing what a cpu is and how it works? binary logic? memory?
mass-storage?  I/O?  no great detail needed for an intro course,
just a broad outline.

if none of that, then what would you consider "core computer science"?

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>