[LINK] iinet wins!!

Frank O'Connor foconnor at ozemail.com.au
Sun Feb 7 17:14:08 AEDT 2010

At 2:21 PM +1100 on 7/2/10 David wrote:
>On 7/02/2010 2:02 PM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>>  It's nasty no matter which way anyone jumps on this one.
>Would the least nasty way to jump be to conclude that the problem is
>with the law? As it stands, is copyright realistically enforceable?

My take on the matter is that both sides of the copyright debate (the
pirates and the copyright holders), and government, have all been
instrumental in creating the problem.

The copyright holders are hardly ones to go to governments and the
public 'with clean hands' so to speak because for decades they have:

1. Lobbied for and received extended periods of copyright (from the
original 25 years to 75 years beyond the death of the creator of the
copyright) across multiple jurisdictions, sought to downplay 'fair
use' and user rights, sought to profit to the extreme on new mediums
for copyright that users may have bought on old mediums and have
lied, cheated and stolen from the original copyright owners like you
wouldn't believe. (The vast majority of copyright cases are the
original copyright holder suing the publisher, beneficial owner or
whatever)

2. Had a stone age attitude to any new technology (vinyl record,
radio, tape, video tape, CD, VCD, DVD, BR etc etc) that can act as a
content recording and distribution medium, and attempt to actually
shut down these new mediums or otherwise control them until they can
make the necessary change to their business model ... after which
they promote them like crazy. The internet is simply a new medium
.... but they don't see that yet as their physical product retail-end
business model simply can't handle it. (Although some network
distribution business models ... e.g. iTunes ... are starting to
prove that it can be quite profitable.)

The sad thing is that the copyright holders are way behind what their
major consumers (15-25 year olds) simply regard as the normal way of
doing things ... they cater to grumpy old farts like myself, but not
to the young.

3. Lied comprehensively about the effect on their bottom line. On one
hand we have the financial pages (and the companies themselves in
shareholder reports) stating to readers and shareholders that music
and movies are accruing boom and record profits, but every time they
appear in court (or are the subject of a newspaper story - usually by
an affiliated newspaper or magazine) they plead impoverishment, point
at the huge and largely fictitious numbers of people actively
involved in the industry who will miss out (50,000 in Australia alone
... Chuckle), and try to mount moral arguments that are hugely at
variance with their behaviour at Point 1.

They also do not admit that 90% of the piracy would never have
amounted to a real sale (the pirates simply would not have bought
it), that some studies show that availability of pirated items also
results in sales of the better quality industry product that would
never have occurred without the piracy in the first place (watch a
grainy low quality sound version of a movie you liked, or listen to a
low quality mp3 or Ogg version of a complex song you like, to see
what I mean)

I would really like to see a defendant's lawyer question the
credibility of the copyright industry on the basis of the porkies
they tell in the media, in courts and the like which are patently
untrue if one looks at the information they give markets,
shareholders, banks and other third parties showing a glowing story.
(Or even the claims that producers and the industry money men make to
prospective investors ... which, believe me are so far from the truth
you'd need the Hubble Telescope to nail them down.)

4. Promoted a broadcast business model (together with their
associated industries like radio and TV) that seeks to restrict
material by geography, time and the sheer bloody mindedness of
programmers and the vagaries of ratings ... so that whether or not
you get to see episodes of TV series, versions of movies, or albums
or songs is completely at the mercy of the middleman. I have to say I
have some sympathy for people who download episodes of TV series or
documentaries that have been slotted into inconvenient time slots,
discontinued due to low ratings, not shown due to timidity of the
local TV industry or whatever.

5. Finally they never admit that other variables may have an effect
on their bottom line (prevailing economic conditions for example) and
require adjustments to their price structures and business models to
increase sales.

The pirates seek to take the high moral ground when questioned about
their activities, but they fail. What they do is stealing ... both
technically and morally. That said the bottom line is that the
average person will always be that if it's free they'll take it ...
and they find it hard to distinguish between stuff that is broadcast
(for free) and stuff that is available online.

Governments in many ways have made the present situation ... by their
regulation and control, by copyright laws overly favourable to the
copyright holders, by copyright laws that basically have destroyed
the rights of the people who created the copyright in favour of the
people of licensed it for distribution, by creating copyright and
patent laws that actively dissuade innovation and invention (see the
Men at Work kerfuffle of late .... but many instances of this exist),
and creating a situation where only the lawyers seem to benefit.

Any rationale examination of copyright and patent law (in Australia
and overseas) would be viewed by an alien outsider as a sign of
societies that have given up the will to live, that paradoxically see
the right to live forever off the past as 'wealth creation', and that
view innovation and invention as another source of income for those
who have the money but not the creativity to innovate or invent ...
because suing the creative for a slice of the cake is much easier
than working for a living.

Enforceability of copyright probably isn't the issue ... that's a
simple problem of evidence and process ... the problem is that it is
being selectively enforced against those who have neither the
resources or the nouse to defend themselves. The problem is also that
copyright violation is so widespread ... I'd guess that at least a
two hundred million people on this planet have at one time or another
downloaded films or music, played pirated discs or whatever.

But as the judge said in the iiNet case, it's not up to third parties
to enforce the copyright holders copyright - that is the
responsibility of the copyright holder. It's also not up to
governments to enforce the copyright ... because its the taxpayer who
pays for that ... and surely the business of copyright holding is
private industry. (Else the government and taxpayers should get a cut
of the copyright holder's profits, shouldn't they? But I don't see
the copyright holders offering this through their PR machines.)

Just my 2 cents worth ...